Labels

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Making a move again, this time not my house but my job!


Hopefully this will be my last move for a while! I am a bundle of emotions over moving from kinder to third grade. I have looked over the Core Knowledge domains for third grade and I am loving what I see. I think about children who already know what is expected of them at school and can sit and listen for longer periods of time and can do a lot of self care. But the truth be told there is one aspect of kindergarten I do not want to let go of. You see when I close my eyes I can see a tribal elder sitting in front of a semicircle of children sitting on blankets. The elder is a storyteller, the kind of stories that children love to hear and learn valuable lessons from. When I open my eyes I see me with modern day students carrying on a long tradition and honoring all the elders of the past. I worry my third graders will not want to sit in the floor and listen to me tell them tales of wisdom. There is some native history in the third grade will it be enough of a trade off to fill the hole that will be left if 3rd graders are just too old to sit on the carpet and listen to a wonderful story?  I think about the one time I recently spent about 20 minutes in a 3rd grade classroom. The teacher was reading the story “Because of Winn Dixie” to the class. The lights were low, the students were sitting at their desks, and they were taking turns for trips to the bathroom. Say it isn’t so!!! I have yet to see my new classroom. I am hoping I have enough room for a carpet and children who will sit and enjoy a story or two….

No comments:

Post a Comment