Labels

Monday, June 18, 2012

Chapter 1 Book Study: The Daily 5


Hello, Teachers! My name is Misty, I have been a teacher for 4 years. I have been working in an inner city school as a kindergarten teacher for all four years. I had a wonderful opportunity to buy acreage and a house for less than the price of my car!!! I did it, but it moved me 48 miles from work. I just sign on with a nearby school district as a 3rd grade teacher. I am a little nervous as a 3rd grade suburban class is miles away from an inner city kindergarten. My mother is a very experienced teacher she assures me that my professional life is about to become a lot less complicated with these professional changes. One thing I really like about getting to be a 3rd grade teacher is The Daily 5. I always felt while the concepts were wonderful additions to my kindergarten class, slightly older children where really a better target group for the model. I love the Daily 5 and am looking forward to using it with my thirds!

 I have been using D5 in my inner city kindergarten classroom for two years. I am nervous about the transition to becoming a suburban 3rd grade teacher using D5, I know it will look different. I decided to revisit the book trying to put on my 3rd grade teacher glasses while reading. I am a bit nervous about the transition, I am excited too. I feel like 3rd grade is a better place to implement all the aspects of D5. Reading has never been more important in an Oklahoma 3rd grade classroom! The state legislature ended “social promotion” if a child does not pass a third grade reading test they are mandatory retained as many as two times. I want all my children to pass this test the first time! Implementation of D5 in a thoughtful methodical way is important to me!

When I implemented D5 in kindergarten it was midyear. My kids looked forward to the D5 center work, they knew what to do. We had book trading day every week that was the day each kid looked forward to. Prior to the implementation I had more behavioral problems in my standard kindergarten centers, constant interruptions during my guided reading groups, and children who refused to follow the rules. I still had a few interruptions, bathroom and drink related mostly,  but my partner and I implemented American Sign Language, and that was the end of that!

After we started I had children who knew what to do would stay on task enjoyed partner work. I still had two children who just couldn’t handle any freedom and would insist on misbehavior; after all it was the inner city.  After making bad choices during choice time, these two children would sit through all my guided reading groups so I could manage my classroom through D5 model.

What will 3rd grade D5 look like? I am looking forward to full implantation of D5. I don’t know what it will look like but the framework of CAFÉ will be a new addition to me. I did not use it in kinder. I am hoping that my older suburban children all ready to take on all the D5 tasks I set before them.

D5 Book club: I am so thankful I ran across this last night. I am hoping to see how other 3rd grade teachers have implemented or plan on implementing D5. The collaboration among other like minded teachers interested in the program is likely to create a few sparks in my brain! Thank you for including me!




No comments:

Post a Comment